Saturday, March 25, 2017

In Thanksgiving of My Health....

Probably close to 25 years ago now, I was moved to be put on the national bone marrow donation list.  I thought how cool it would be a part of saving another person’s life.  Maybe it even started before that when I dreamt of being a police officer.  Anyway, years and years went by and I thought of it once in a while and wondered if/when I’d be called.  
A year or two ago it was brought back to my mind as my oldest daughter (Eryn) had heard of a friend’s mother needing a kidney donation.  Made me think of the fact I’d never had the opportunity to donate my marrow.  I didn't even know being a live donor was possible.  She never thought twice about stepping forward as a candidate.  In fact, she went beyond just wanting to be considered for that person and was willing to give her kidney to anyone in need.  I could actually understand where she was coming from and enjoyed talking to her about it and thought perhaps one day (when I didn’t have 7 kids still at home), I may do the same thing.  She went through many many tests and was eventually found to not be a candidate for anyone.  I know she was disappointed.
Probably 6 months ago, I mentioned the possibility of donating to Bob and he seemed fine with the idea of me donating a kidney if that was how I was being led.  Again, I decided the most “responsible” thing to do would be to wait until our youngest 6 were out of the house, so it was placed on the back burners of my mind.  I did ask a few questions of a friend who had recently donated his kidney.  Mostly asked about the recovery.
Then recently, a friend told me about her son going to donate his marrow and I mentioned how long I had been on the list.  She told me she believed I’m now too old to donate marrow.  Ugh. This moved me to check into kidney (and liver) donation, worried that I was too old for that as well.  Indeed, they don’t like to accept anyone’s organs after age 60.  This age cut off leaves me with time to get my youngest 6 out of school and still (though barely) be under 60.  Perfect.
I then went through a brief scare with a breast biopsy and was left feeling so blessed that it was benign.  I am so healthy and so thankful.
In my thankfulness, I realized in general, my health is excellent (except for osteoporosis). Why, knowing how incredibly healthy and blessed I am, would I not donate as soon as I could!?!  Again, the thought of still having kids at home put me on hold (briefly). I convinced myself I’d wait “unless a need came along”  How in the world would that happen?  Someone on Facebook pleaing for a friend or a family member?  I wasn’t sure how I’d ever know about anyone in need, but moved on with that idea.  Literally two days later I walked into the local DMV and there was the sign for a woman who was in need of a kidney.  Ok God, I guess now’s the time.  
I learned a little more about this woman in need and speaking with someone who’s struggled with their health for so long, just made me feel all the more blessed by my health and all the more determined to share my health (and it doesn’t hurt to be going through a bible study that talks about loving others as you love yourself.  “The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”  Mark 12:31
“Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.” Hebrews 13:16.)  I’m so so blessed. 
I called and began the many health exams involved, had the support of my family and then found out my sister had breast cancer and another very close loved one was going through chemo.  This made it all the more important to me to share my health.  Yes, I joked, (not appreciated by my family) that I needed to donate now, before I get cancer, having a brother I lost to cancer and a sister now struggling with cancer and another fighting the battle.
I got to hug on my DMV friend the morning before my surgery.  We had our picture taken together and she shared a little more of her story.  it’s meant the world to me to have her prayers through this.

I’m so happy I’ve done it now and absolutely thrilled to have received a first report on my recipient (in Maine)whose health is improving rapidly and to hear that my donation caused other donations to happen, one in CT and I don’t know how many more.  Somebody had no kidneys working well, I had two and now my one is taking over…thank you Jesus for allowing me to help somebody in this way.  Please please pray for my friend at DMV to receive her kidney very very soon.  She is precious.

2 comments:

Peggy said...

Thinking of you and glad you are recovering well. We are blessed to be a blessing. I have thought of this financially, but never thought about sharing health the way you have.

Take care,

Peggy

Cindy LaJoy said...

Totally not surprised at this gift you offered a stranger, for that is just who you are. I love how you listen so well when God speaks to you! Praying for you, your recipient, and that others would learn from a generous heart how to be generous in the ways God calls them to be.